Wednesday 30 November 2016

Discriminating Viewing

Back in the day I got sick of blokes [and a lot of women] going on about bra burners, and asking me what feminists were whingeing about and I snapped. It finally hit me that if people really care about an issue, they will make an effort to work it out themselves.



Same thing for being gay and people having no idea this makes you, as Magda puts it, a minority of one in your own family, not to mention the bullying, the extra rape threats, [or if a male the threat of being murdered with no one giving a shit] and not being born with a brand on your forehead so you have no option but to make it personal and a big deal when you ask people to be a little kinder.



And so, after an interesting discussion many years ago about Indigenous Australians, it hit me – if I really cared, I would make an effort to work it out myself. And all the leftard brainless dogooder wanky bullshit abuse and silencing from other whites just for caring leaves me in no doubt it must suck to be an Indigenous Australian.

After ten years most of what I have learned is that Australia’s full history is buried, that most of what we were told and still are told is just plain wrong – a legacy of lies and omissions. So when I heard a new series of First Contact had been made, I was excited.

O.M.G. After 2 seconds I wanted to slap David Oldfield around the head. Not just ignorant, but having him on my screen was like a Parliamentary torture chamber.




But I get it. It’s not sensationalism, it’s necessary for people like me to hear the shit Indigenous Australians have to listen to all the time, though once should be one time too many.

And it’s necessary for people like me to know what it’s like not to have any answers “handy” and so feel, instead, that it would be easier to just give Oldfield a slap around the head…. Because he isn’t listening anyway.

 And it also raises points in a way that people like the panel on Awaken are able to provide “answers”, and say some really important and insightful stuff.

Because racism IS simple, but pain is not, suicide is not, struggling to imagine a good tomorrow is not, change is not… and caring is not enough.



If you are still reading this and if you are interested in a crash course in how the other half live,
Episodes are online via SBS on demand,  http://www.sbs.com.au/onde…/video/809594947886/first-contact

The episode of Awaken which followed “first contact” series 2 ep 1 and features some brilliant answers is available on SBS on demand, online, at  http://www.sbs.com.au/…/awaken-first-response-first-contact…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment